Monday, July 6, 2009

The Swine Flu Chronicles

Mmmmm... Swine flu... And I got it.

Yep. That's right. I, Elwood, had a confirmed case of the H1N1 virus, more commonly known as "swine flu." And wow did it suck.

I started feeling a little under the weather on my last night in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, last Saturday. At first I thought I had just gotten too much sun. But after a night of fighting off chills, a miserable day of travel back to Wisconsin, and a long night in my own bed fighting what was clearly now a bad fever... I knew I was really sick.

After a doctor's visit Monday and three days of waiting around the house, I got the call from the Appleton Health Department: "You've tested positive for H1N1."

Let me say this: I was a huge Swine Flu skeptic. I'd been saying for weeks that the panic over swine flu was overblown and that I was as scared of swine flu as I was of bird flu and monkey pox... which is to say, not at all.

One week later, let me say this: Swine flu will kick your ass. Massive fever and headache. Zero appetite. Bad cough. Exhaustion like you would not believe. Five days of movement from the bed to the couch... then back to bed. That's it. Miserable.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a diet that'll drop 10 pounds in a week without doing any exercise (or moving at all, really), I'd be happy to come over and cough on you.

Thankfully, I'm no longer contagious, feel a lot better, and am finally getting my appetite back. So I'm back to work, ready to rock.

Be sure to wash your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment